Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Great tip for keeping outdoor stairwell free of leaves

My neighbor gave me a great tip for keeping my basement stairwell free of leaves. I haven't tried this yet, but I will as soon as we get another heavy rainstorm. Many of us here in the neighborhood have these outdoor stairwells with a tiny drain in the center of the bottom concrete slab, set almost flush with our basement doors. If those drains get clogged with leaves and debris, rainwater backs up and can seep into the house under those doors. I've outfitted my drain with one of those wire caps that look like bakers' hats and are designed to attach to the ends of downspouts. I poked its spokes through a traditional metal hole-filled drain strainer and set it atop my drain. It does a pretty good job of letting the water through but not the leaves. Yet, leaves still collect on that bottom slab. My neighbor suggested placing an old screen door over that bottom slab, but up on a higher step so that it forms a kind of mesh bridge over the drain. I thought it sounded like a great idea. When I get a chance to do it, I'll blog again about how well it worked.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea! Thanks for the tip. Where did you find the wire cap? I searched home depot's site but don't see it.

jj said...

I've been using the gutter downspout screens for about 8 years after minor basement floding a few times. Two problems though: 1)The screens can still get clogged in spring and fall or when the wind gets ferocious just before a down pour, 2) they can be a trip hazard if you use the door frequently. I've bougth them at multiple hardware stores including Home Despot.

I had thought about using a screen door or similar setup but was afraid that the fine screen would not allow water through fast enough to prevent it from rolling off the side rather than through the screen. How did your's work out?